Thursday, December 2, 2010

Going back to Old School Dining - The Canteen @ Shaw Centre

Its the Christmas Season once again, and many people like to walk around the place taking pictures or photographs of the decorative lights that fill the malls in Singapore.

I have decided to walk around with my friend to take shots in Orchard Road, and we started off one night with a dinner at Shaw Centre first.

Being quite low on budget (due to the need to plan to buy gifts for the "jolly season"), we decided against eating at restaurants, and instead, checked into this place:





The interior

The staff who served us, was quick to take our orders and recommend to us the variety of dishes to us. Eating here is no frills, there's just what you get in a regular coffee shop or canteen, in a more up-class setting.

What we ordered:

Sausage on Mash 

Fish & Chips

Ok, I admit, I should have used my Canon 50D for the shots, but I was trying to push the limits of the iphone4 camera.

For a up-classed hawker centre themed eatery, I would say that their meals are rather decent, nothing too fancy, nor too inedible. In fact, I would say it is a god-send for people who would want to eat slightly more affordable food at a cosy place.

The service is good. Staff were responding to our calls promptly and we were being addressed to with smiles throughout.

I ordered a drink for myself:

Ice-Blended Lychee


For the Dessert, we shared:

 Goreng Pisang Katsu

My spoonful of dessert

I would say that this is an interesting find in the urban area of Orchard. The inclusion of the vanilla ice-cream really made this dessert one that can complete a simple meal easily.

This place deserves a rating for:
Food: 6 / 10
Service: 7.5 / 10
Ambience: 6.5 / 10

Overall: 6.5 / 10

You may come here for a quick relief from the normal restaurants that you frequent, to have a taste of canteen style food, at a more posh setting. All in all, I paid around SGD 16 for my meal there, so I would say it is still quite affordable.

Must Try: The Goreng Pisang Katsu

1 comment: